Sunday, September 30, 2018

Monthly Prices May Be Wedging

When we look at the longer term monthly chart in the cash S&P500 Index, we see that prices may be wedging over the upper channel line in a "throw-over" pattern.

S&P500 Cash Index - Monthly - Prices Wedging

The five Intermediate Degree waves of my long-standing count (1) through (5) are clearly visible. The degrees of all the lesser waves fit perfectly, and there are no degree conflicts. Price is now over the channel, and at some point in the near future will likely test the upper channel boundary again. I called the top in 2015 - when almost none were expecting it. I called the W-X-Y for Intermediate (4) shortly after it occurred. And - most recently - as most of you know - I called the triangle for Minor wave 4, shown in the next chart: the weekly chart.

S&P500 Cash Index - Weekly - Triangle Minor 4


I personally wrote to a major Elliott Wave service, and informed them of my views before the current recent highs, and explained to them why I thought their count would be incorrect. I did receive replies documenting my submissions, and my count was again proven correct and theirs was incorrect. Let me make it clear, I have nothing against this service. They taught me much of what I learned - just not all. And I still wish to help them.

I did the same for three different popular Elliott Wave web-sites, with similar results.

Now it comes to Crude Oil. Some sites omit a projection on Crude Oil; others have an absolutely ridiculous count that makes no sense in the Elliott wave-world. Therefore, I will take a stab at a count in Crude Oil, using the tried-and-true familiar, rule-based Elliott Wave patterns.

Crude Oil Futures - Monthly - Ending Diagonal Scenario

In 2009, there was a Primary [A] wave down, which is likely part of a zigzag pattern, so there should be a Primary [A], [B], [C] in total. Then, after Primary [A], down, there were three clear Intermediate waves up to a Primary [B] wave in 2011. Next, there was a Minor A wave down in five waves in later 2011, and three waves up to the Minor B wave in mid-2013. This was followed by a clear five wave Minute degree wave as wave Minor C, likely of the Intermediate wave (1) of a diagonal for the five-wave Primary [C] wave.

So far, we appear to be working on a three-wave Minor A-B-C to the Intermediate Wave (2) which should find resistance at the down-trending line from Minor B to Minute (ii). This upward wave has already overlapped the downward Minor A wave of Intermediate (1) at the $75 level.

Then, an Intermediate Wave (3) should occur as another three-wave zigzag and make a marginal new low before two more Intermediate waves (4) and (5) complete the sequence to Primary [C].

Only if the upper dotted trend line is significantly breached, would we consider that Primary [B] was a much, much longer-in-time flat wave, and then, it would have to break through $120. This latter scenario of a FLAT for [B] is a much less conservative scenario. And, I favor the conservative scenario for three reasons: 1) oil can't go much below $0, 2) it would not make much sense to have oil increasing and the stock market declining, and 3) there should be an ending pattern - such as a diagonal - if oil is going to make it's final move lower.

Well, there you go. I haven't seen this count published anywhere else. I haven't discussed it with any one. You are seeing it as a first from me. Let's see how it goes. The only thing I can say is that the degree labels are crystal clear, and all Elliott Wave rules are followed precisely.

Have a good weekend.
TraderJoe


15 comments:

  1. Quick question:

    I notice your SPX monthly chart is apparently arithmetic. A log chart would show no throw over (in fact our recent price action would be hovering around the midline of the channel). Just curious why you prefer arithmetic?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because there has been little-to-no inflation and a stable dollar during the period.

      Delete
  2. Thanks, great work ,apprediate your knowledge and effort at sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. Incredible work. Your monthly chart has ominous overtones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you see SPX currently completing a third wave only, with a fourth and fifth yet to come?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. At this point in time. Watch for updates on the daily.

      Delete
  5. Joe, When you reveal the true path it seems the "real thing" was quite easy.
    What intrigues me/us is that only 1 Elliottician has got it right,and,validated by market action. Why is this so, as they all studied the same pages?
    Am pretty frustrated because that major Elliott Service has let us down more than once. Thank You again kind Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tony. I'm not sure we have indeed studied the same pages. There is some stuff from Neely and Williams I include in my work - none of which break the original Elliott Wave rules or guidelines. However, I have discarded from their work any new patterns, rules or guidelines that disagree with original Elliott.

      Delete
    2. Sorry about your losses with that service Tony.
      I finally figured out that I literally had to trade the EXACT OPPOSITE of what their counts called for to make successful trades. I am dead serious. If I did not know better, I would have concluded they were deliberately misleading their subscribers, they were that consistently wrong. I left the sevice in disgust four years ago.

      Delete
    3. Verne You're lucky impeccable timing for leaving them. Their worst call was in Oct 2015,when by Special Bulletin they declared that the stock market's collapse was IMMINENT !! My very close friend and I jettisoned 95% of our holdings in US stocks. Take care.

      Delete
  6. Will you please post an analysis on NIFTY 50(INDIA)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi vijay - but I'm sorry I don't analyze that market.

      Delete
  7. Hi Joe,

    Thank you for all you do, your charting is really second to none.

    I see in the above comments that someone referenced the fact we still have a wave 4 and 5 to come. Based on your interpretation of the current cycle, could the wave 3 we are in now subdivide and extend this higher degree 5th?

    Thank you and Best Regards,

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete